[Gbbopen-list] Using other Lisp systems as GBBOpen KSs

Dan Corkill corkill at gbbopen.org
Thu Apr 24 19:17:18 EDT 2008

> ;;; Newbie alert, with apologies. The level of traffic on this list
> ;;; seems to be increasing slightly, and I'm hoping it's OK to ask
> ;;; naive questions.

Serious questions (at any level) are always welcome here...

> Is there any guideline (or code example) on how to fit an unrelated Lisp
> system as a KS into GBBopen? For example, let's say I have a rule-based
> application in LISA that I want to use as a KS. I seem to recall papers
> saying that the Control System selects KSs to run based on, for example,
> the expected computational effort that will be involved in running the
> KS and the expected problem-solving benefit. We can make up our own
> conventions on how to do these things, but are there examples to guide us?

The following article might be helpful (especially the discussion on
initialization and reuse of a rule-based KS that is invoked multiple times):

"Embedable Problem-Solving Architectures: A Study of Integrating OPS5 with
UMass GBB," Daniel D. Corkill. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data
Engineering 3(1):18-24, March 1991
(http://dancorkill.home.comcast.net/~dancorkill/pubs/kde91.pdf).

Note that it is also possible to integrate a rule-based system as more of a
peer engine (not managed by the blackboard-system's control shell, but
exchanging data and inferences with the blackboard-system side of things).

[Note that unrestricted posting to the GBBopen User's list requires
subscribing.]

--
believed to be clean.