[Gbbopen-list] Multi-node support in GBBopen?

Dan Corkill corkill at gbbopen.org
Sat Apr 19 06:11:13 EDT 2008

> Yesterday I started to read a paper: Design Alternatives for Parallel
> and Distributed Blackboard Systems. I'm quite interesting in Section
> 6.2: The Distributed Blackboard Implementation. I found functions in
> the section are not exist in GBBopen, like DEFINE-NODE, DELETE-NODE,
> ADD-CONNECTION, DELETE-CONNECTION, etc. Does these functions only
> exist in commercial Umass GBB but GBBopen?

The functions in that book chapter were the beginnings of what became the
NetGBB product (an extension of the commercial GBB system).

> I also check GBBopen's source code, found a source/extensions/
> multinode.lisp. It seems that many exported functions in this file
> haven't finish writing.

The multinode.lisp file is present to generate just such questions.
(Actually it is a stub for a simulation facility that runs multiple GBBopen
  instances on the same CL.  That's one reason that there are control-shell
instances--to enable switching/multi-threading of them.)

> So what is the current status of multi-node support in GBBopen? Just
> curious, I'm not intend to use this feature since I'm just a newbie at
> present.

NetGBB-like facilities for GBBopen await demand/resources.  Much of the
underlying support machinery is already in place (e.g.,
print-object-for-saving/sending and friends).  Most GBBopen development
efforts happen because they are needed to support a specific application or
research effort (in a sense, a form of indirect, back-door GBBopen
sponsorship).  Otherwise, development awaits volunteered interest.

A full-blown NetGBBopen would require only a week or two's development.
(Slide your money under the door...)

--
believed to be clean.