[Gbbopen-list] What's the position of "blackboard" in AI research?

Dan Corkill corkill at gbbopen.org
Thu Apr 17 11:29:58 EDT 2008

> It seems that author has been working in this area for more than 20
> years (1986-2008).

Well, I'm certainly biased (if not seemingly quite old...!), but:

> So is this (blackboard related topics) is "outdate" or important-but-
> most-people-dont-think-so theory?

As a Common Lisper you should be used to the "it's OK if everyone isn't
using/talking about it" take on things.

Truth be told, most blackboard-system applications came to a blackboard
approach (if they survived at all) only as a last resort.  "We didn't think
we needed/had time to use it."  This has held true for all those years and,
unfortunately, continues today.  There are also a number of "modern"
tools/mechanisms that provide some of what a serious blackboard-system
approach provides.  (For example, see space-based architectures, the
repository software pattern, etc.)

The basic idea of software (and sometimes human) entities interacting via a
shared workspace (and hopefully with some sort of control) is enticingly
simple.  (There's even a tiny CL version of a blackboard-system included as
part of my AI Expert article.  This was provided to illustrate the basic
ideas and to show how *not* to build a blackboard-system application that
would not be incredibly slow.  I learned later that a number of people
downloaded and actually tried to use that *bad*--but working--example in
real applications!!)

Anyway, the bottom line is that there is no deep theory behind the basic
blackboard-system approach (so it doesn't fit into AI course structures or
textbooks).  How all the pieces come together to work powerfully and
efficiently, however, is subtle.  As with CL programming, there's no simple
"replicate this pattern" workflow to crafting a complex BB application (so
that scares other people away).  I highlighted some of this in my ILC03
presentation/paper.

As for GBBopen, no one is "selling" anything (so there is no motivation to
grab market share).  Some very complex and serious things are being done
with it (as was the case with the GBB product), but they are often "off the
radar" (sometimes intentionally).

So, good for you that you are working through GBBopen and the Tutorial.
That will put you in a position to judge whether a blackboard-system
approach is useful for your work.  Note that there are also applications
that make use of GBBopen's blackboard objects (unit instances) and
proximity-based retrieval capabilities, link (bidirectional pointer)
operations, and event functions—but without using a control shell. By
traditional definition, these applications are not "blackboard
applications," but they still use GBBopen's :gbbopen-core facilities to
significant advantage.

--
believed to be clean.