[Gbbopen-list] What's the position of "blackboard" in AI research?

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 06:27:13 EDT 2008

Hello, GBBopen & Dan Corkill

Me again, a Chinese, Linux system administrator and Common Lisp
programmer.

I'm reading several papers of Dan Corkill on this link:

http://dancorkill.home.comcast.net/~dancorkill/pubs/

It seems that author has been working in this area for more than 20
years (1986-2008). At current, I still only have very basic knowledge
about GBB, and after read half of the GBBopen's tutorial document, I
still don't know how these space, unit, and events be used to solve
problems. The only thing I can see right now, is the great hack of
CLOS/MOP, and the portability on almost all CL platforms. (I should
read more until I can understand it, sorry.)

The (stupid) question is, why I didn't see (almost) anything about
blackboard in other AI books? (Of sourse, I read few AI books ^_^)

In book "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" (Stuart J.
Russell & Peter Norvig), I didn't find anything about "Blackboard".
The most related topic maybe "Multi-Agent Planning" which appear in
Chapter 12 "Planning and Acting in the Real World".

In another book "Expert Systems: Principles and Programming" (Joseph
C. Giarratang & Gray D. Riley), I found some notes about blackboard in
its section 5.6 "The State of Uncertainty":

	... The best we can do on this mountain is model it on the expertise of
	our expert, or try to include more than one approach to uncertainty and
	let the different techniques fight it out. Such an evolutionary
approach
	is based on the classic *blackboard architecture* in which different
	agents simultaneously work on a problem from different angles. All the
	agents post their pieces of the puzzle on a public blackboard for all
	see in the hope that different pieces may suddenly come together ...

But this book didn't give any reference to Dan's papers, or anyone else.

So is this (blackboard related topics) is "outdate" or important-but-
most-people-dont-think-so theory?

Thanks,

Chun Tian (binghe)

--