[Gbbopen-list] Any way to have GBB Open leave *PACKAGE* alone?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 21 14:23:00 EDT 2012

On 3/19/12 Mar 19 -9:52 PM, Dan Corkill wrote:

>> Right.  What we ended up doing is defining a pseudo ASDF system that has
>> as a PERFORM method, a call to STARTUP-MODULE.  Thanks!  Your pointer
>> got us on the right track.
>
> There is also an ASDF system definition mechanism for GBBopen's modules. (See
> the "ASDF,  clbuild, and Quicklisp users" box in the Starting Up chapter of
> the GBBopen Reference Manual.)
>
> If you installed GBBopen using clbuild or Quicklisp, ASDF has been informed
> of GBBopen's <install-dir>/gbbopen.asd system-definition file. Otherwise,
> you must add the gbbopen.asd file to ASDF's Registry manually. Then, the Module
> Manager and GBBopen module definitions can be loaded using ASDF by entering:
>
>   cl-user> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :gbbbopen)
>
> or when ASDF is integrated with Common Lisp's require:
>
>   cl-user> (require :gbbopen)
>
> Using either of these expressions defines an ASDF system for every GBBopen
> module.  (See, GBBopen can play nice...)
>
> -- Dan

BTW, in a modern version of ASDF, if you have a system that wants to
load some of the gbbopen modules, you can do something like

(defsystem my-system
  :defsystem-depends-on (gbbopen)
  :depends-on (gbbopen-mod1 gbbopen-mod2 ...)
)

The defsystem-depends-on is for dependencies that must be in place in
order for the defsystem itself to be processed.  So this will load your
gbbopen.asd (defining the modules) before my-system is even read, making
gbbopen-modn's available

cheers,
Robert

--