[Gbbopen-list] Any way to have GBB Open leave *PACKAGE* alone?

Dan Corkill corkill at gbbopen.org
Mon Mar 19 13:05:38 EDT 2012

> I.e., the code relies on a side-effect of SET-REPL-PACKAGE to establish
> the value of *PACKAGE*.  At least, I /think/ that is what it's doing.
> At any rate, the effect of that IMPORT call seems very difficult to
> predict, since it relies on an uncontrolled dynamic variable,
> and possibly undesirable.
>
> Any chance of changing this behavior?  I can see it might be desirable for
> interactive development in the context of GBB, but if you are using GBB as a
> library inside a larger system, it's a bit bothersome.

Robert,

The "correct" answer from a Module Manager perspective is that you should
be defining a top-level Module Manager module that loads up your entire
system (whatever mixture of ASDF and Module Manager modules are required).
Of course, this viewpoint has the Module Manager rather than ASDF as
the primary component loader.

If (for some reason!) want ASDF to be the master, then you can define
a trivial GBBopen component-loading module that loads whatever GBBopen modules
you want and does not specify a package to be set (thus skipping the entire
(when package ...) form).

As I recall, the reason the import uses *package* rather than the specified
package is to support any package-adjusting that might be hidden in
SET-REPL-PACKAGE, which is assumed to establish the desired *package*.

-- Dan

--
believed to be clean.