[Gbbopen-list] Blackboard systems and constraint-based programming

Christian Lynbech christian at defun.dk
Thu Apr 24 15:11:47 EDT 2008

I had the pleasure of attending the European Common Lisp Users Meeting
this Sunday in Amsterdam, where I heard Kenny Tilton talk about Cells, a
CL based system for constraint-based programming.

It is not that I know much about constraint-based programming in general,
or Cells in particular, but I wondered how this would mix with a
blackboard system such as GBBopen.

Obviously one could each of ones KSs from a constraints oriented
perspective but I am here thinking more in terms of utilising a
standalone library such as Cells directly within the blackboard
structrure.

The problem I am having problem getting the grips on is that a CB
program has a number of rules that links objects or cells such that if
you change one object, changes will ripple across the model absed on
these rules. If one modifies a blackboard object, events are generated
that will feed into the selection of the next KS.

Would the combination work? What I would expect should, if this was ot
work, would be that a single change to a blackboard object (that was
also a cell) would generate both one event, then a change to a depedent
cell with would generate yet another event and so on.

(...wwondering if I make any sense at all...)

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic at hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

--
believed to be clean.